To allow us the freedom to spend as much time as our patients need and allow medical judgment to be the sole reason that directs their care, we contract directly with our patients rather than insurance companies.
Does Poolesville Family Practice take insurance?
YES, our practice does accept insurance. However, our doctors believe that their only concern and responsibility should be to their patients. Therefore, we are not contracted with private insurers. By not contracting with private insurance companies we are not burdened by their restrictive rules and red tape. We believe that only a patient and their doctor should be making medical decisions, not insurance companies.
Not contracting with insurance companies allows us to:
Spend more time with our patients
Allow for easy access same day urgent visits
Give more personal attention to patients
Allows our staff to give better service to patients and spend less time doing insurance paperwork
Allow for less wait time in the office
How do I get reimbursed by my Insurance company?
As a courtesy to you, we will, submit your bill to your PPO or POS insurance plan. Our office policy is to collect full payment at time of service, but with our Standing Credit Card Authorization Plan, we will accept 25% at the time of visit and any remainder will be paid automatically once the insurer pays their portion of the bill. Payment is expected at the time of service for some insurances, such as HMO plans which do not allow any out-of-network provider to be reimbursed).
I am concerned about my out of pocket costs?
Our fees are similar to most in-network physicians (and often much lower than other practices in Montgomery County), but since you are going 'out-of-network', you may be paying more out of pocket.
Remember that if you have a high deductible, you will be paying completely out of pocket whether you are in-network or out-of-network until you meet your deductible. Most people with high-deductible health plans never meet their deductible so they are paying completely out of pocket for all or most of the services at their primary care physician's office. If you are paying completely out of pocket, you will want the best medical care for your money.
What if I don't have insurance?
We encourage our patients to find affordable health insurance. But for those who are currently uninsured, we do offer exceptional and personal medical care at affordable rates. Often lower than many in-network practices.
If you need health insurance, the state of Maryland does administer a health insurance exchange for personal and small business health insurance: www.marylandhealthconnection.gov
Do you accept Medicare?
We do accept Medicare. (But please call the office at 301-972-7600 for the most up-to-date information about whether we are accepting new medicare patients).
Do you accept Medicaid?
We do not accept Medicaid.
Do you charge a fee for missed appointments?
If patients cannot make their appointment, we do require them to call to cancel their appointment at least 24 hours in advance. If patients do not call in advance to cancel their appointments we charge the following missed appointment fees:
Annual physical missed fee: $50
Doctor's visit missed fee: $35
Nurse's visit missed fee: $20
These fees are subject to change without prior notice, please call the office or check posted signs in the office for the most up to date fees.
For the most up-to-date information for new patients, insurance, and payments please
contact us at
What are the benefits of being a patient at Poolesville Family Practice?
1. You get appointments when you need them
2. Our doctors spend as much time as you need
3. When you call the office, you get a real live person. We don't believe in phone trees :)
4. Wait time in the office is short. Don't be surprised if the nurse is waiting for you when you walk in the door.
5. You get a written "Visit Summary" after each visit. So you know what tests were done, what your diagnosis is, how to take your medications, and what to do next.
6. Bloodwork is drawn in the office, so you do not need to go to another facility.
7. Your whole family gets their medical care in one office.
8. Our doctors are on-call for their patients 24/7
9. Convenience and comprehensive medical care right here in Poolesville.
10. The best in modern health care technology (we use an EMR-electronic medical records and an online patient portal) combined with the best of an old fashioned family doctor (Dr.Duggirala and Dr.Kate do home visits, ie, house calls).